Paula Godwin and her dogs, Todd and Copper, live in Arizona, and enjoy going on frequent walks together. However, this walk took a turn for the unexpected when Todd, the heroic pup, had to protect his owner from a rattlesnake!
On Friday morning, Paula had decided to take a hike along a paved trail, accompanied by her dogs. Six-month-old retriever pup, Todd, noticed a rattlesnake on the path and defensively hopped between his own owner and the reptile.
Unfortunately, in his heroic act, Todd himself got bitten. Quickly realising what had happened, Paula grabbed Todd and sped to the hospital. At the hospital, Todd was treated with anti-venom and made a full recovery – although he did suffer with some puffy cheeks for a while!
In a video about the incident posted to Facebook, Paula says, “He for sure saved me from getting bit, […] he’s definitely my hero.” She also made a point of warning other people to stay vigilant and to keep an eye out for the snakes regardless of whether a rattle can be heard. But there’s more! Now Todd is the face of a fundraiser for rattlesnake bites on Gofundme, helping other puppies get medical help. How awesome is that?