Whether you’re a celebrating American or not, these curious tidbits are sure to fascinate you.
11. The only man to sign the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, 1776, was John Hancock.
All of the other 55 men signed the document at a later date.
10. 7 signers were Harvard educated.
That’s right! Out of the 56 men who signed, 7 of them had been educated at the prestigious Harvard University.
9. The tune of the National Anthem is not original.
The melody of the National Anthem actually originates from an old English drinking song called ‘to Anacreon in Heaven’.
8. The stars on the original American flag appeared in a circle.
This was so that all of the colonies would appear to be viewed equally.
7. Two signers went on to become US Presidents.
Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson signed the Declaration of Independence, and went on to serve consecutive terms as President of the United States.